Iowa City Area 7th Annual Juneteenth Celebration: June 24, 2017
The 2017 Iowa City Area Juneteenth Celebration is just around the corner! The event will be held on June 24, 2017 from 12:00pm-6:00pm at the Mercer Park Aquatic Center (2701 Bradford Drive, Iowa City, IA 52240).
Photos from this year’s Juneteenth event:
What is Juneteenth?
Juneteenth is the oldest holiday commemorating the abolition of slavery in the United States in 1865. The day is often referred to as African American Emancipation Day, and is a celebration of freedom. Our theme this year will be U & I in the Community.
2017 Activities Include:
- Music & Live Entertainment from 12:00 – 4:00 p.m.
- Family Time from 4:00p.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the Park
- On the main stage:
- Dream Divas
- Set the Atmosphere
- Drill Team
- Charism performing at 2:00 p.m.
- Funk Daddies from 2-4 p.m.
- DJ Risquisimo will be providing music throughout
- Award presentations for the Iowa City Human Rights Commissions’ Youth Essay and Art Contest at about 12:15 p.m.
- Outdoor Activities for Children including body painting, double dutch, hopscotch, and more!
- Historical Displays from the African American Museum of Iowa at 1:00 and 2:00 p.m.
- Health & Vendor Fair in the gym from 12:00-4:00 p.m.
Free food while supplies last
Bring your appetite when you arrive. We’ll have free food from HyVee provided by Johnson County Social Services (with a generous discount from HyVee!) beginning at 1 p.m. and continuing until the food runs out.
This annual event is hosted by the Johnson County Community Juneteenth Committee. For more details, contact LaTasha DeLoach at firstname.lastname@example.org.