Iowa City Area 8th Annual Juneteenth Commemoration: June 23, 2018
The 2018 Iowa City Area Juneteenth Celebration is just around the corner! The event will be held on June 23, 2018 from 12:00pm-5:00pm at Mercer Park (2701 Bradford Drive, Iowa City, IA 52240).
Photos from last year’s Juneteenth event:
What is Juneteenth?
Juneteenth is the oldest holiday commemorating the abolition of slavery in the United States in 1865. The day is often referred to as African American Emancipation Day, and is a celebration of freedom. Our theme this year will be Other Mother: It takes a Village
2018 Activities Include:
- Music & Live Entertainment from 12:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- On the main stage:
- Dream Divas
- Drill Team
- Charism performing at 1:00 p.m.
- Funk Daddies from 2-4 p.m.
- DJ Storm will be providing music throughout
- Award presentations for the Iowa City Human Rights Commissions’ Youth Essay and Art Contest at about 12:15 p.m.
- Outdoor Activities for Children including body painting, double dutch, hopscotch, and more!
- Historical Displays in the lobby of Mercer Park the day of the event
- Health & Vendor Fair near the pavilion from 12:00-5:00 p.m.
Free food while supplies last
Bring your appetite when you arrive. We’ll have free food from HyVee provided by Johnson County Social Services (with a generous discount from HyVee!) beginning at 1 p.m. and continuing until the food runs out.
This annual event is hosted by the Johnson County Community Juneteenth Committee. For more details, contact LaTasha DeLoach at email@example.com.